$2,345 per person (8 persons minimum required)
Designed for serious foodies and those who appreciate quality wines and good things in life.
Your morning city tour of Croatia’s impressive capital, Zagreb, will include old section of the Upper Town, the city’s historical center, St. Mark’s Church with its multicolored roof, the Cathedral, the Croatian National Theatre, among other sites. After lunch we’ll depart for Istria and will make a stop in Ljubljana, capital of Slovenia for brief sightseeing. On to Postojna Caves, the largest underground cave in Europe with its own railroad 140 ft under. After sightseeing and resting in Postojna Caves, we will proceed to Istria and town of Motovun/Livade, Croatia’s “Tuscany country” and the new truffles capital of the world. This is where the largest white truffle was discovered in 1999 and recorded in the Guinness’ Book of World Records. Accommodation and dinner at hotel Kastel in Motovun.
In the morning after leisurely breakfast we’ll depart for Opatija, one of the oldest and most elegant tourist resorts in all of Europe. Opatija, nestled on the Croatian side of the Adriatic, was in the 18th and 19th centuries the summer
playground of European nobility. Kings, and queens, princes and princesses, dukes and duchesses gathered here for some fun and a good time. Many hotels and mansions built at that time serve today as wonderful accommodations updated with a touch of modern technology. We will stop for brief break and lunch at Plavi Podrum (Blue Cellar) one of 10 top restaurants in Croatia.
Full Day Excursion by private car
Full Day Excursion by Private Car
After leisurely breakfast we will take a short ride to Pula, the largest Istrian city.
No, it’s not Rome! Romans built about 50 coliseums around the Mediterranean, but Pula is the best preserved anywhere. Remarkably so with just a few of the original stones missing from its walls. The structure is used today for various community and public events, including Croatia’s annual Film Festival
Evening return to Motovun (30 min. ride) for overnight.
Dinner at Zigante
Truffle hunt I
Pre-dawn rise and off we go “truffle hunting.” A professional truffle hunter will pick you up at your hotel and take you on your first truffle safari. You will meet his dogs, the truffle finders (on some occasions pigs are used). With their
exquisite sense of smell for the special aroma truffles emit, they start digging in the precise spot where truffles are buried deep in the damp soil, at which time the hunter guide takes over. With his hand, he will dig about 2-6 inches until he unearths the prized nuggets known as truffles. Your guide will explain everything you want to know about truffles, including the difference between white and black truffles, season of harvest and conditions for growth.
Return to hotel in time for breakfast and rest. The balance of the morning is free. Lunch suggestion: at a nearby restaurant specializing in truffle dishes.
Truffle hunt II-Finders-keepers!
Beginning of the end!
Your entire morning is reserved for leisure, shopping and relaxation. Our car and driver will be at your disposal should you wish to explore anything on your own. Late afternoon departure to Zagreb. Dinner at “Vinodol” Restaurant, one of the best Croatian restaurants and last chance to try some of Croatian interior wines. Overnight at 5-star Hotel Esplanade (formerly the Regent Hotel).
After an early breakfast, we’ll transfer to Zagreb airport for your return flight home.
MOTOVUN/LIVADE: Kastel Hotel or Zigante Inn 5*
- RT transfer in Zagreb upon arrival and departure
- 2 night accommodation at 5-star hotel Esplanade in Zagreb in DBL rooms
- Daily breakfast in all hotels on tour
- English-speaking guides locally hosted
- Wine cellars and winery visits in Istria (cost of wine tasting not included unless specified)
- 3 Lunches and 3 dinners
- Air-conditioned modern mini-bus or sedan car throughout tour
- All government taxes and fees
- Air to/from Croatia
- Meals other than those specified in Itinerary
- Travel Cancelation or Travel Interruption (for whatever reason) insurance-highly recommended
- Medical and personal injury insurance
- Admission fees to attractions, National Parks, museums and galleries other than those specified
- Items of personal nature ordered in hotels
- Tips to service personnel
- OW Transfers from/to Venice to/from Zagreb or Motovun $195 per person
- OW Transfers from/to Trieste to/from Zagreb or Motovun $125 per person
- One hour spa treatment and massage at hotel Kastel $125
- Excursion to Istarske Toplice Spa including 2 hour spa treatment $250
- Full day Excursion to Trieste, Italy (by car, van or motor coach) $250
- Full day excursion to Venice, Italy by hydrofoil (summer months only) or private car) $298
- Dinner at typical Istrian village restaurant where all organic food prepared on open fire pit with bottle of wine for two $175
- Opera/Concert evening in Zagreb National Theater (subject to scheduling) $125
- Dinner at typical Croatian restaurant in Zagreb (includes bottle of wine for two) $125
- “Open Dining” is another Mediterra signature service. All lunches and all dinners throughout the tour will be included in the best local restaurants, where you may choose anything on the menu (a la carte).
- Travelex travel cancellation & interruption of trip Insurance – highly recommended.
- Medical Emergency and Evacuation Insurance (Mediterra signature service).
- Complete 8-day (7-night) Adriatic islands cruise on a small ship from $995